Sunday, July 19, 2009

025. 7’s Haven for High-fliers (sequel)

Oh my god, I can’t believe that the aftermath of the glimpse I caught yesterday is still sending my tummy-inhabiting butterflies into a frenzy. Okay, so it might not be such big a deal to some, afterall it’s only a myna. ┐('~`;)┌ But mind you, this glossy, black being is not just any canteen-hopping avian. Numerous times, the resounding calls of the Hill Myna (Gracula religiosa) has accompanied me –  just before the mauve skies reflect the first fiery shafts of the sun, and my friends start awakening from their deep-night slumber. Seeing the elusive creature, never mind that it may be 2-300m from me, was the next must-do on my list! Not any clip from the web (doesn’t matter if the resolution is crystal clear and shows even the eyelash), I will not settle for anything less but the real thing. Picky, I know. =)

But before I start gushing on and on about it, I would like to illustrate a bit on the other feathered friends which frequent (some only once in a blue moon, or maybe that’s just me) the verdant settings King Edward 7 Hall and its surroundings have to offer (besides the one that I wrote about previously).

Psittacidae (Family):
IMG_6405-1
Seen on my way to class one day was a couple of Long-tailed Parakeets (Psittacula longicauda). These guys resemble a parrot somewhat, except that parakeets generally have long tail feathers (it’s not just this species as its common name might infer). :) Unlike the female (right), the male (left) has longer tail-streamers. It’s my first seeing this bird after all, and I might just have identified it wrongly. But the Long-tailed Parakeet was my best bet, not only because of its evident red beak…

IMG_6406-1
… the sides of the parakeet’s head is also a reddish-pink hue! And whaddaya know, these birds are also endemic to Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. Yes sirree, these birds weren’t introduced but instead call the two neighbouring countries their home (besides the regions of Andaman islands, Nicobar islands, Sumatra and Borneo). And interestingly, they usually form groups of up to 20 birds, although it’s also known that at times up to 800 parakeets can congregate, particularly at coastal roost sites [1]. I guess seeing just 2 would either mean that these pair wanted some private time (for chrissake, doing it with 20 pairs of eyes around you could be a lil’ unnerving, but that’s just me, heh) or …. it could mean that the population status of these birds are not looking up.

Picidae (Family):
IMG_9733-1
Other than the Banded Woodpecker (Picus miniaceus), this woodpecker (I am torn between the Laced Woodpecker, the Streak-breasted Woodpecker and the Streak-throated Woodpecker) is the first I have seen at Kent Ridge near my hall. But chances are that this might be a Laced Woodpecker (Picus vittatus) since in an observation, some had been observed in the vicinity of Kent Ridge Park, but then again that was back in 1998. Actually, I have seen another woodpecker but then the pictures were just a blot of blur movements that direct identification from them would drive an ornithologist cuckoo. =)

Pycnonotidae (Family):
IMG_9747IMG_9768-1
And just in case you might have wondered what birds do when it’s raining cats and dogs, this is an example what happens. Compared to its sunny-day slim physique, the drenched Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier) seemed to have put on more weight! By the way, the Yellow-vented Bulbul is called so because its vent (or butt) is a distinctive yellow hue(left).

IMG_9763-1IMG_9760-1
Kawaii (or adorable) as it might seem at the moment, the Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier) becomes more ball-like as the feathers are puffed-up to keep the little fella warm. While watching it trying to keep out of the rain (though failing rather miserably), I noticed that the Yellow-vented flew back and forth for a 2-3 times back and forth another tree. Not sure about the reason though..

Here’s a video of the Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier) and its calls during that faithful day. Unlike the nasal quality of the Long-tailed Parakeets, the calls of the yellow-vented is a rapid, bubbling chic-chic-chic… and sharp harsh chwich-chwich.    

Oriolini (Tribe):
IMG_8796-1IMG_8814
Though Oriolus chinensis (above) would win hands down in terms of sporting a bright, yellow coat, it’s common name is the Black-naped Oriole. Of course,  in its juvenile state, the back of its head (or nape) is still a sulphuric yellow. Talk about being misleading. :) Anyway, this was another bird that kicked me into a frenzy. I still remembered catching sight of it initially at the top of the Macarthur Palm’s (read as Mac-Arthur) as it was in the process of picking and swallowing the ripe fruits.

Skittish by a sudden human presence, it immediately flew down to a drain below. By this time, I was tingling with excitement as I was pretty certain I have never seen the likes of this bird in my life (the truth wasn’t revealed till I showed the picture to LK). By then I was straining to either stay in the spot to observe the bird or go back into my friend’s room and grab my camera, I decided on the latter whilst cursing (blast it, of all times my camera wasn’t there when I needed it) and hoping fervently it stay puts till I return.

And thank goodness, when I returned it was hopping by the drain before I caught a glimpse of it flying to the staircase at the end of the block. Stalking it, I went 3 floors down before I was approximately 50cm away from it. But just as I was ready to capture a shot of it drinking water, my battery decided to breathe its last breath. Internally I was cringing and going “Arggggghhhh!!!! Bloody hell, of all times, why, WHY?!!” Berating myself for my negligence, I ran all the way back to one end and then back again to see that (thankfully) the bird was perched atop another palm. And with the the batteries’ juice running to the fullest, my eyes and my lenses never left the oriole.

IMG_8820-1IMG_8800-1 
Splendid in manoeuvre, the Black-naped Oriole sweeps and circles to pick the fruits in style.

IMG_8805-1 
Caught in the act! One of my favourite pictures of the Black-naped Oriole during its feeding session. As if it knew that it had me entranced, it turned back and continued to pick the fruits while perching nonchalantly on the stem.

IMG_8828-1 
Shrouded in a juicy trove of glowing citrine and shimmering green tourmaline, the Black-naped feasted till its little heart’s content before taking off towards the evening skies.

Sturnini (Tribe):
IMG_9879-1IMG_9880-1
And last but not least, the bird that I have been raving about since the beginning - Hill Myna (Gracula religiosa). From the picture on the left, you can see that its nape and the feathers covering its ears are a bright mango yellow while the right snapshot shows a decent shot of its deep orange bill (albeit small).

IMG_9875-1 
From where I was standing, I would have not noticed 2 blotches of black amongst the dark, verdant foliage of the towering tree beside King Edward 7 Hall if not loud, piercing ti-ung that reverberated through the cool evening air.

It regularly perches in exposed tops of tall trees but I seriously hope this would not be the first and last time I see it. Next on my agenda would be to catch a crystal-clear shot of this avian. Yeah, it’s either I sprout wings… or churn up a DSLR with zoom lens, so unless I have latent powers of Angel, the latter it is then! Matte ne!

Reference:
1.
http://www.avianweb.com/longtailedparakeets.html

2 comments:

  1. nice observation....i want , i want... to take the hill myna! :-)

    samson

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.. don't worry, you will sure chance into one one day.. but must come out either early morning or evening (some time near 5 or later) =)

    ReplyDelete