Sunday, May 10, 2009

016. Wee Winged Beasties of Block C

My room, C215 was never a desolate place. In the mornings, a yellow-vented bulbul or the pink-necks would stop by a visit before going on their own merry way. Sometimes (if Lady Luck happens to be lolling about on my bed), I will get to see a female Asian Koel (or at least I think it’s one). Once dusk sets in, a couple of Yellow-Crested Cockatoos would mark its arrival with a distinct ‘caw-caw’ as they fly beyond the tallest points of the Prince Georges Park Residence. Of course, these winged creatures aren’t just limited to the feathered kinds. Often, my room would be a stop-over for creatures like termites, cockroaches (these usually don’t live long to see daylight if it’s an adult I spot) and the ochre-coloured beetles. However, I get to bump into some of the more wee, unique beasties once in a while.

Take this gorgeous, green insect which happened to be hovering on my door one fine afternoon (18th March 2009 to be exact). I know it was a sizzling Wednesday afternoon as I remembered preparing for my Biodiversity lessons at 4.
IMG_5448-2__IMG_5457-1
(left): With 2 long tails (twice as long – or maybe even longer – as its body) streaming at one end, it didn’t even so much as twitch a wing when I swung the door. Though it might look horizontal in the above picture, it was perched quite stably on the vertical surface of my KitKat-coloured door.

(right): If you look carefully, you’ll notice that its tail had alternate markings on it. Its only visible when seen from a certain angle as the sun rays usually rob it off its ‘limelight’. Cool eh?  :)

Another visitor that had made a stop on my door was this lovely, silver-dusted moth. This occurred the night before my final exams – the 3rd of May to be exact. With 2 papers (one in the morn and another in the afternoon), an internal battle was waged within – to shoot or not to shoot. In the end, no prizes for guessing which side won. >_> 
IMG_6554-1__IMG_6526-1
(left): A top view of the moth. This insect was another brave one. No sir, not even a budge from its original position even when the door hit against the edge.

(right): A lateral (side) view of the moth. Notice its hairy feelers? This is my first clear recollection of a moth that possessed such hairy feelers.

IMG_6525-1__IMG_6531-1
(left): This is as close as I could get to the moth before it started feeling jittery and decided to climb further up the door.

(right): A front view of the moth. It was really too bad when I found its limp, lifeless body on the floor the very next day. Sigh, I probably should have captured it and then release it into the night when my eyes first chanced upon it. But as the Malay proverb goes, nasi sudah jadi bubur (the rice has turned into porridge, what’s done cannot be undone).

Of course, it’s not only my door that becomes centre stage for the arrival of these 6-legged beasties. Some even have the guts to traipsed over my homework without even giving the fluttering sheet (which it was on) a second thought. Why, even my pencil that was scribbling madly over the surface didn’t even faze it. This ant-lookalike creature certainly has guts. Here’s a closer look on the little Hercules. 
IMG_6066-1

Interesting as it may be, the toilets were even better. Sometimes, mornings to the loo are greeted with tens of bodies of bees (if I am not mistaken). Nonetheless, the best encounter I have had so far was my bump-in with this violet-orange moth (it was enough for me to go running off to my room, grab my camera and come back to the toilet in less than 2 minutes. Lucky for me, there weren’t any occupants in the cubicles or I would have been hauled to the nearest psychiatrist before I can say ‘Moth’.. ^^)
IMG_6324-1__IMG_6335-1
(left): Unlike the previous moth, the feelers for this one were relatively bare. I do wonder if insects are able to distinguish the flashing of the red light which a camera in focus emits. It was as still as a statue while I paparazzi-ed away with my Powershot.

(right): Here’s a shot of its backside which hid folds of tiger-patterned wings. On its wings were a motley hue of browns, acid-green patches and white slivers(4 to be exact).

IMG_6341-1__IMG_6347-1
(left): A view from the top. Taking a clear shot of this was the most difficult of all as it required steady hands to offset the slower shutter speed.

(right): A right-side view of the moth, which I feel shows off its violet shades pretty nicely. Unlike the previous one, this guy here has a long, up-curled proboscis. A nectar-feeder I assume?

If I miss my room here in King Edward 7 Hall, (weird as it might sound) this above will definitely be one of the reasons why. :) (I know, I know… I should be off at Dreamland now. .__.)

No comments:

Post a Comment